Similar to other online payment services, you will be asked to verify your identity from time to time while using Dapper. This layer of security is used to comply with financial regulations, prevent fraud, and to protect the community.
As part of our commitment to keeping our users safe, the identity check can only be performed through your Dapper account. All identification documents must be submitted through our platform – we do not accept emailed copies of your identity documents for verification.
When will I be asked to verify my identity?
There are a few instances in which an identity check could be requested:
- When your account hits a threshold of financial activity from purchases and sales
- When you submit your first request to withdraw from your Dapper Balance
Please note: as an account approaches the financial thresholds for which an identity check is required, an email will be sent prompting you to complete the identity check. A notification will also appear in Dapper under the 'Security' tab.
What type of identification can I use?
Valid government-issued identification is required, although which type of ID you use will depend on your region. For example, if you are in North America, you will have the option to use your driver's license. Other regions will require a passport.
The identity check process
There are three steps to completing the identity check:
- Taking a photo of the ID you are submitting (driver's license, passport etc)
- Taking a selfie
- Completing a form with details such as your residential address
Why did my identity check fail?
Although uncommon, an identity check can fail once you complete the process and submit your information. Some of the reasons a submission can fail are:
- An expired ID
- A damaged ID (cracks or rips)
- Dark or blurry photos
- Photos with too much glare
- Mismatched addresses (if you've moved since your ID was generated, for instance)
Please note: if you're unsuccessful in your first attempt at the identity check, don't worry. You have 7 attempts at the process.
Identity check troubleshooting
Here are a few important tips to help make sure your identity check is processed and verified:
- If you’re submitting your driver's license, take a photo of both the front and the back of your ID in a well-lit area, free of any glare
- Make sure that your ID is in focus and fully visible for the photo
- When taking your selfie, remain still until your photo is captured and displayed on the screen There is a slight lag between the camera reading your face and capturing your image. If you move, the photo will come out blurry
- If you’re using the mobile option, please note that on iOS only the Safari browser is supported. If you’re using Android, most browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Brave) will work
- If you're photos are routinely coming our blurry, please try using a different device (a different mobile, laptop, or desktop, may have a better camera)
- Make sure the ID you are using is valid and has not expired
Reminder: For your own safety, please do not send personal information to us unless asked to do so. We will never ask you to send personal information to any other email address.