Similar to other online payment services, you will be asked to verify your identity to comply with financial regulations, prevent fraud, and protect the community.
As part of our commitment to safety, the identity check must be performed through your Dapper account. All identification documents must be submitted through our online platform. We do not accept emailed copies of your identity documents for verification.
When will I be asked to verify my identity?
As of May 14th, 2021, all new users will be asked to verify their identity during the account sign-up process. If you opened your account prior to that date, you can initiate the identity check at any time. Simply click on the Security tab in your Dapper account and then navigate to the 'Identity check' section.
While an identity check can be initiated at any point, there are a few instances where the check will be required:
- When your account hits a threshold of financial activity from purchases and sales.
- When you submit your first request to withdraw from your Dapper Balance.
What type of identification can I use?
Valid government-issued identification is required, although which type of ID you use will depend on your region. For example, if you are in North America, you will have the option to use your driver's license. Other regions will require a passport.
For a list of which identification documents can be used in which regions, check out this help center entry.
The identity check process
There are three steps to completing the identity check:
- Taking a photo of the ID you are submitting (driver's license, passport, etc.)
- Taking a selfie
- Completing a form with details such as your residential address
Why did my identity check fail?
Although uncommon, an identity check can fail once you complete the process and submit your information. Some of the reasons a submission can fail are:
- An expired ID
- A damaged ID (cracks or rips)
- Dark or blurry photos
- Photos with too much glare
- Mismatched addresses (if you've moved since your ID was generated, for instance)
Please note: if you're unsuccessful in your first attempt at the identity check, don't worry. You have 7 attempts at the process.
Identity check troubleshooting
Here are a few important tips to help make sure your identity check is processed and verified:
- If you’re submitting your driver's license, take a photo of both the front and the back of your ID in a well-lit area, free of any glare
- Make sure that your ID is in focus and fully visible for the photo
- When taking your selfie, remain still until your photo is captured and displayed on the screen There is a slight lag between the camera reading your face and capturing your image. If you move, the photo will come out blurry
- If you’re using the mobile option, please note that on iOS only the Safari browser is supported. If you’re using Android, most browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Brave) will work
- If your photos are routinely coming out blurry, please try using a different device (a different mobile, laptop, or desktop, may have a better camera)
- Make sure the ID you are using is valid and has not expired
Reminder: For your own safety, please do not send personal information to us unless asked to do so. We will never ask you to send personal information to any other email address.